The Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Fellow (Post Doc) for independent research including but not limited to viruses such as Influenza, African swine fever, Vesicular Stomatitus, Rift Valley Fever and other select agents under both BSL-2 and BSL-3 bio-containment conditions. Duties would include planning and conducting experiments; writing and editing manuscripts/articles; establishing procedures and techniques; and provide educational guidance to students. This position is part of a very busy, successful research team whose main goal is to develop rationally designed vaccines and diagnostics against high-consequence foreign animal, emerging and zoonotic disease threats. The position requires the individual to display critical thinking and independent judgement as it relates to ongoing and new molecular, viral research with direct guidance from the Research Science Manager and Primary Investigator. The research is conducted at the BSL2 and BSL3 level of containment and utilizes several select target animal models such as pigs, cows, chickens and mice. The position requires the acquisition and maintenance of a DOJ Select Agent clearance.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct infectious disease research in support of viral pathogenesis and vaccine studies as a member of a large, multi-displinary team.
- Experience in immunological techniques to include immune cell isolation, flow cytometric staining, flow cytometry experience, ELISA, EliSpot, immunoblotting, immunoprecipitation and immunohistochemistry.
- Generate monoclonal antibodies to select agent recombinant proteins.
- Provide technical support in recombinant DNA technology, molecular biology techniques such as RT-PCR, PCR.
- Expression and affinity purification of recombinant proteins using mammalian cells/insect cells/yeast/E.coli.
- Work with animals [cows, sheep, pigs and mice – inoculation/bleeding/isolation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and serum] at the BSL2 and BSL3 level of containment.
- Develop, plan, and record experiments.
- Write and edit manuscripts and/or articles for publications and/or presentations.
- Process and prepare experimental data for statistical analysis.
- Hands-on training of new students/visiting scholars/collaborators.
- Provide oversight of daily programmatic activities.
- Provide lab support (lab inventory/lab sample repositories) and ensure compliance with university regulations.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- DVM or graduate degree – MS or PhD in science related field
- 5 years of Molecular laboratory experience
- PCR, RT-PCR, cloning, cell culture techniques, western blotting, affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems,conducting safety and immunogenicity studies, immunological assays, virological assays
- Poster presentations and/or presentation at local, university or national meetings
- Ability to work with animals in the BSL2 and BSL3 level of biocontainment
- DVM with Masters or PhD in immunology, molecular biology, virology, or related field
- Experience working or conducting studies with animals – rodents, food animals, and/or companion animals
- Molecular or virological laboratory experience – virus isolation, virus purification, virus titration, western blotting, affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems,conducting safety
- Hands-on experience generating live-vectored subunit vaccines, generation and affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems, cell culture techniques, conducting safety and immunogenicity studies in cattle, sheep, pigs, and/or mice hands-on experience conducting, conducting EliSpot assays in mammals or other immunological assays, flow cytometric techniques, PCR, RT-PCR, reverse genetic systems, plaque assays, hemaggutination assay, monoclonal antibody production in mice
- Manuscript editing, poster presentations and/or presentation at local, university or national meetings, published articles in nationally/globally recognized scientific journals
Job Post: 509863