Website BerkeleyLab Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Bringing Science Solutions to the World
Chemical & Biological Technologies Program Manager – 94652
Organization: LD-Laboratory Directorate
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has an opening for a Chemical & Biological Technologies Program Manager in the Office of National and Homeland Security. In this position, the Program Manager will use their knowledge of Chemical and Biological Technologies for security-related missions to develop and maintain a strong and sustainable portfolio of projects at Berkeley Lab, by promoting and helping to develop/tailor capabilities across all relevant Divisions and Scientific Areas. The Program Manager will lead strategic activities to develop new programs and strengthen relationships with Defense Threat Reduction Agency Chemical and Biological Technologies and Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (DTRA CB and CX) as well as develop more extensive ties into related Department of Defense agencies, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration, the intelligence community, and other relevant federal agencies.
As an unclassified Department of Energy Office of Science laboratory, Berkeley Lab’s focus is on basic research and partnering with other institutions as the research transitions toward being more applied. Thus, the position will also require relationship building with other Department of Energy laboratories, Department of Defense labs and facilities, and industry to ensure that technologies have a transition path to use in the field.
What You Will Do:
- Serve as Berkeley Lab’s point of contact to Defense Threat Reduction Agency Chemical and Biological Technologies and Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction, as well as other Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration, and intelligence community agencies sponsoring Chemical and Biological Technologies research and development.
- Plan and execute strategic activities to maintain and expand the portfolio of Chemical and Biological Technologies funded projects, including workshop planning and facilitation, strategic meetings, and development of strategic plans, white papers, and quad charts.
- Identify multi-disciplinary opportunities within Berkeley Lab to address Chemical and Biological Technologies mission needs.
- Build and nurture collaborative opportunities with other national labs, Department of Defense labs and facilities, University of California system, other relevant universities, and relevant industry organizations.
- Enable and help develop a diverse and inclusive group of Principal Investigators working within this Chemical and Biological Technologies portfolio of projects.
- Link Chemical and Biological Technologies program development and execution to Berkeley Lab initiatives and other significant Laboratory investments.
- Coordinate with larger Office of National and Homeland Security portfolio to identify additional synergies.
- Represent Berkeley Lab at national and international strategic planning events, workshops, and conferences, as well as federal program reviews.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, virology, bioengineering, genetics, or a related field, and a minimum of 8 years of training/work experience in the field, including program planning, scheduling and budgeting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience working with federal agencies that fund Chemical and Biological Technologies R&D topics, including knowledge of agencies’ missions, R&D scope, current challenges, and unique requirements of working for those agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication and relationship management skills.
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain an existing security clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, and a minimum of 12 years of training/work experience in the field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience using Salesforce CRM.
- For full consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter by March 18, 2022.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Classification will depend upon the applicant’s level of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- This position will require DOE Q-level access authorization (security clearance) that involves an extensive background investigation, application, and random drug testing, and strict adherence to federal laws pertaining to such an authorization. The clearance process may take up to a year or longer to complete. If for any reason you are not able to obtain Q-level security clearance, your employment is subject to termination.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.