The Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) provides basic research funding to further progress towards Air Force mission needs. AFOSR has a staff of 200 scientists, engineers and administrators headquartered in Arlington, Va., and has foreign technology offices in Santiago, London and Tokyo.
The focus of AFOSR is on research areas that offer significant and comprehensive benefits to national warfighting and peacekeeping capabilities, organized by five scientific departments:
Dynamical Systems and Control Division
Quantum and Non-Equilibrium Processes Division
Information, Decision and Complex Networks Division
Complex Materials and Devices Division
Energy, Power and Propulsion Division
AFOSR has formed a strong, productive alliance with other government agencies, industry and the academic community. About 70 percent of the research is conducted in academia and industry and the remaining 30 percent is conducted within AFRL. AFOSR has funded more than:
1181 Extramural Research Grants at 227 Universities
255 Intramural Research Projects at AFRL, USAFA, AFIT
155 STTR Small Business – University Contracts
AFOSR solicits proposals for research through various Broad Agency Announcements (BAAs). One or more proposals may be submitted on any topic listed in any BAA.
All AFOSR Funding Opportunities are required to be posted on Grants.gov and are also available directly from the AFOSR website as is information on Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) opportunities.
Editor’s Picks: Articles of interest on AFOSR. Links may lead to external sites.