Dugway Proving Ground (DPG)Dugway Proving Ground (DPG)U.S. Army
The U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground (DPG) serves as the chemical and biological defense proving ground for the United States. It is in a remote, closed post on nearly 800,000 acres of land in the Great Salt Lake Desert – about 85 miles southwest of Salt Lake City, Utah.
The West Desert Test Center (WDTC) is the testing area for DPG specializing in chemical and biological defense testing. The site hosts numerous Technology Readiness Evaluations (TREs), and has been a critical partner in a number of chemical and biological programs including the Critical Reagent Program, Joint Biological Point Detection System, Joint Biological Early Warning System, and the Joint Services Lightweight Standoff Chemical Detection Program.
Areas of expertise include chemical and biological defense, smoke and obscurants, materiel and delivery systems, munitions and incendiary devices, meteorological research and modeling, environmental characterization and remediation technology testing, and technology transfer to include specialized hands-on chemical biological training for military and civil support teams.
WDTC’s divisions include:
- Chemical Test Division
- Data Management Division
- Life Sciences Division
- Meteorology Division
- Special Programs Division
DPG employs about 1,200 military, government civilians and support contractors.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to Dugway Proving Grounds. Links may lead to external sites.
- Dugway’s Chem-Bio Test Grid Safari Instrumentation System (Feb 2017)
- Dugway Upgrades Environmental Testing Facilities (Nov 2016)
- Deadly Pathogens Repeatedly Dispatched by U.S. Labs to Unsecure Sites (Sep 2016)
- GAO: Live-Pathogen Blunders More Common Than Reported (Sep 2016)
- Army Goes Aerial in Search for Bio-Chem Threats (Sep 2016)
- Army Explores Use of Unmanned Vehicles to Detect Chem-Bio Threats (Aug 2016)
- What It’s Like to Race at a Test Center for Chemical and Biological Defense (Jul 2016)
- Dugway Declassified: A Rare Look at the Mysterious Utah Site’s Experiments (May 2016)
- Military Labs Are Too Careless with Deadly Diseases: Report (May 2016)
- Project JUPITR Early Warning System Can Save Lives (Dec 2015)
- Chlorine Test Concludes Safely with Five Successful Trials (Oct 2015)
- Spider Webs on Front Lines of Biowarfare Detection (May 2015)
- JUPITR Undergoes Tech Demo at Dugway, Heads to South Korea (Apr 2015)
- RFI – Dugway Biological Testing Facilities Water Analysis (Apr 2015)
- Test Chamber Upgrades Benefit Warfighter (Feb 2015)
- Tighter Security Checks on DPG for Visitors (Feb 2015)
- Dugway to Expand Biodefense Life Science Test Facility (Aug 2012)
- Lost Army ‘Nerve Agent’ Found After Utah Base Lock Down (Jan 2011)
Dugway UT U.S. Army