National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)U.S. Department of Commerce
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is a non-regulatory federal agency within the U.S. Department of Commerce. NIST’s mission is to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve quality of life.
NIST laboratories conduct world-class research, often in close collaboration with industry, which advances technology infrastructure and helps U.S. companies continually improve products and services.
NIST’s weights and measurements services support technologies ranging from nanoscale devices to encryption standards for global communication networks, and provide the basis for the fairness and efficiency of sales.
Highlighted facilities and programs include:
- Advanced Materials Center of Excellence
- Nuclear Analytical Chemistry
- CNST NanoFabrication Facility
- Consolidated Fire and Smoke Transport Model (CFAST)
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreements
- Disaster and Failure Studies
- Forensic Science Practice Groups–Organization for Scientific Area Committees
- Small Business Innovation Research Program
- Standard Reference Materials Program
- Bioscience & Health
- Building and Fire Research
- Electronics & Telecommunications
- Public Safety & Security
NIST’s FY 2014 resources total $850 million in direct appropriations, an estimated $47 million in service fees, and $107 million from other agencies.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to NIST. Links may lead to external sites.
- NIST Award to Clean Venture for Chemical Waste Disposal (Mar 2016)
- NIST Community Disaster Resilience Planning Guide (Nov 2015)
- NIST Awards Non-Radioactive Source Detection System Contracts (Sep 2015)
- NIST Center of Excellence for Forensic Evidence (May 2015)
- NIST Awards 7.8M for Advanced Manufacturing Technology Planning Grants (May 2015)
- NIST Develops ‘Fingerprinting’ Method for Antibody Therapies (Apr 2015)
- NIST Seeks Community Input on Disaster Resilience Planning Guide (Apr 2015)
- NIST Technique Can Measure Volumes of Key ‘Lab on a Chip’ Components (Apr 2015)
- NIST Radiological Characterization Survey of Renovation Site (Mar 2015)
- SBIR Grants to Fund Research in Manufacturing, Cybersecurity and Bioscience (Mar 2015)
- Federal Laboratory Technology Transfer Report for Fiscal Year 2012 (Mar 2015)
- NIST Seeks Disposal of Radioactive Sources (May 2014)
- NIST, USAMRIID Propose New Explanation for Key Step in Anthrax Infection (Aug 2013)
- NIST Develops Inexpensive Cell Assay on a Chip (Jun 2012)
- NIST Fact Sheet: Did You Know?
- FY 2016 Budget Request for NIST Seeks a Safer, More Secure and Smart Tech Future