Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC)Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC)U.S. Navy
The Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) is the largest biomedical research facility in the U.S. Navy conducting health and medical research, development, testing, and evaluations. Focus areas include: infectious diseases, biological warfare defense, directed energy bioeffects, combat casualty care, environmental health, bone marrow transplantation, aerospace and undersea medicine, medical modeling, simulation and mission support, warfighter performance, epidemiology and behavioral science.
NMRC’s Infectious Diseases Directorate is comprised of departments for Malaria Research, Enteric Diseases, and Viral and Rickettsial Diseases. Studies include immune response to pathogens, development of candidate vaccines, clinical trials support and epidemiologic studies.
The Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD) within NMRC conducts applied research on diagnostic assays for the detection of biological agents in clinical and environmental samples, rapid genomics sequencing, and vaccine and therapeutics development. The directorate is comprised of six departments: genomics/bioinformatics, molecular diagnostics, immunodiagnostics, clinical research, operations and international field microbiology.
As part of the 2005 BRAC Law, BDRD relocated the research and reagent production activities to Ft Detrick, Maryland in October 2011. Annually, BDRD produces over $50M worth of reagents for the DoD Critical Reagents Program and other U.S. Federal Agencies. The molecular diagnostic laboratory provides certified reference materials ensuring confidence in fielded biowarfare detection assays, Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) studies and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) efforts throughout DoD and Federal Agencies.
The immunodiagnostic department is the only laboratory within DoD capable of producing hand-held assays to detect biological agents from environmental samples.
BDRD is responsible for outfitting the Navy and Marine Corps with bioweapons defense field testing capabilities and managing the proficiency testing program for the fielded Joint Biological Agent and Identification and Detection System (JBAIDS) platform.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to NMRC. Links may lead to external sites.
- Sioux Falls Biotech Company Produces MERS Treatment (Feb 2016)
- DTRA Extends MRIGlobal Mobile Lab Support in West Africa (Feb 2016)
- CDC Investigation Shows Pentagon Mishandled Plague Samples (Sep 2015)
- Naval Medical Research Center License Enables Commercialization (Sep 2015)
- Live Anthrax Shipped to Dozens of Labs in Past 12 Years (Jul 2015)
- Sanaria to Produce Malaria Vaccine for DoD (Jun 2015)
- HJF Awarded NMRC Bridge Contract During Award Protest (Mar 2015)
- Navy Researchers Recognized by White House for Ebola Response (Feb 2015)
- DoD Replenishing Reagents for Ebola Diagnostic (Dec 2014)
- NMRC Provides Ebola Assays for W. Africa (Oct 2014)
- Sanford Applied Biosciences Supporting VEE Countermeasure Research (Mar 2014)
- Navy, Notre Dame Collaborate for Portable Nanosensor Diagnostics (Dec 2013)
- NMRC Researchers Help Demonstrate Vaccine Protects Against Malaria (Aug 2013)
- NMRC Researcher Is Awarded a Gates Foundation Grant (Oct 2012)