Technical Support Working Group (TSWG)Technical Support Working Group (TSWG)Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office
The Technical Support Working Group (TSWG) operates as an interagency research and development program element under the federal Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office (CTTSO), with a mission of fielding rapid solutions to combat terrorism.
Rapid prototyping is the primary focus at the TSWG, but the ultimate goal is to transition products to end users. The bulk of TSWG core funding is provided by the DoD. Additional funding is supplied by the Department of State, while other government departments and agencies share the costs of selected projects.
The TSWG organizes its research and development into several subgroups including: Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Countermeasures (CBRNC); Explosives Detection; Physical Security; Investigative Support and Forensics; and Personnel Protection. The CBRNC Subgroup identifies and prioritizes multi-agency user requirements and competitively seeks technological solutions for countering the terrorist employment of CBRN materials.
By its participation in the InterAgency Board for Equipment Standardization and Interoperability and in coordination with the Department of Homeland Security, the National Institute of Justice, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of State and other Department of Defense components, TWSG CBRNC integrates technology requirements from fire, hazmat, law enforcement, and emergency medical services communities into its process.
The TSWG is currently divided into 10 subgroups, each chaired by senior representatives from federal agencies with special expertise in those functional areas. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal/Low-Intensity Conflict (EOD/LIC) Program, which develops advanced technologies for Joint Service EOD and Special Operations Forces (SOF) missions, transitioned in 2001. In 2007, the Irregular Warfare Support (IWS) Program was initiated to satisfy a growing need to improve the capacity of the U.S. to counter insurgencies and fight an irregular war.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to TSWG/CTTSO. Links may lead to external sites.
- Decision Sciences Awarded DoD Contract for Advanced Threat Detection (Jul 2016)
- Combating Terrorism Broad Agency Announcement (Dec 2015)
- Standoff Optical Techniques for Trace Detection (Jun 2015)
- US DoD Contracts for Development of Portable Electronics Scanner (Mar 2015)
- MRIGlobal’s Portable Glove Box Featured in CTTSO Annual Review (Mar 2015)
- Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office BAAs (Feb 2015)
- CTTSO Advance Planning Briefing for Industry (Feb 2015)
- CTTSO Threat Day (Jan 2015)
- Special Forces Face Increased Cyber Risks, Challenges (Jan 2015)
- Combating Terrorism – Special Warfare Technical Support (Sep 2014)
- BAA Seeks Technologies to Combat Terrorism (Mar 2014)
Arlington VA 22215