Battelle is currently seeking a Bioinformatician (internal Data Scientist II). The candidate will assist in research and development efforts to generate influenza candidate virus (CVV) to support the CDC mission to combat influenza pandemic, by integrating mathematical and computational approaches with laboratory-based science to conduct analysis on genomic, transcriptomic, and proteomic data from influenza viruses. This position is located on the West Jefferson Campus in (Columbus, OH area).
- Perform data analysis of viral pathogen derived next generation sequencing (NGS) data including assembly, mapping, annotation, and whole-genome comparison, evaluate quality metrics of generated data from NGS;
- Conduct data analysis of Sanger sequencing data;
- Provide report of analyses of these data for decisions by Battelle/CDC in selecting influenza strains for seasonal or pandemic influenza vaccine production;
- Communicate progress orally and in writing with technical monitor and other researchers;
- Design, write and utilize scripts in Python, PERL, BioPERL, java, python, ruby, groovy or R for automation of data analysis and visualization;
- Assist the technical monitor with preparation of reports, presentations for conferences and client meetings;
- Contribute to the development of technical documents, standard operating procedures and manuscripts;
- Maintain detailed records that meet good documentation practice standards;
- Train and support other staff as needed
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- BS or MS, with 2+ years in life sciences focusing on bioinformatics, molecular biology and/or genetics.
- Provide skills utilizing an in-depth knowledge of bioinformatics algorithms, tools and resources to accomplish sequence retrieval, alignment and clustering techniques, expression profiling and protein related.
- Prepares genomic data analysis including assembly, mapping, annotation, and whole-genome comparison
- Contributes to the development of procedures and standards for database development
- Must maintain compliance with all Battelle safety protocols.
- Highly motivated person with meticulous working habits, precise record-keeping, and strong organizational skills
- US citizen required. The selected candidate will have to obtain and maintain a Battelle security clearance
View opportunity at Battelle.