Website Kansas State University
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) is seeking a Biosecurity Facility Technician. This position is specialized and dedicated to the BRI. This position performs in a preventive, predictive, and responsive manner to address sensitive infrastructure systems and equipment operations.
Carry out procedures and requirements to maintain complex equipment, systems, and facilities associated with BSL-3 and BSL 3Ag biocontainment. Includes approach determined to prevent risks of exposure or release of infectious disease agents from loss of containment, participation in bio-risk management protocols, compliance with federally mandated laws for training, access, occupational medicine, and security related to Select Agents and mission of the BRI.
Why Join Us:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) at Pat Roberts Hall on the Kansas State University Manhattan campus is a unique biocontainment research and education facility.
The BRI supports comprehensive multidisciplinary research, education and training programs that address threats to plant, animal, and human health, including food-borne pathogens. Home to 113,000 square feet of laboratory, education, and administrative space, this BSL-3, ABSL-3, and BSL3-Ag facility offers a diverse range of research and education opportunities.
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off-vacation, sick and holidays.
To learn more visit: http:www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Operates, maintains, and monitors industrial building systems, components and subcomponents critical to biocontainment performance and function.
Examples include; Infectious liquid and solid waste treatment systems, High pressure steam generating boilers (90-100 lbs., 6 boilers at 6 Million BTU’s each), supply and exhaust air handling equipment (fans, drives and belts), dual redundant water pumping stations, bio-seal doors, on-site chiller systems (3 units at 400 Teach), 2000 kW standby power generator, overhead crane rail, freezers, coolers, backflow prevention, etc.
- Assist with construction and set-up/take-down of specialized biocontainment penning and gating.
- Participate in scheduled preventive maintenance on critical biocontainment systems
- Industrial Repair – Rebuilding/ Replacement of specialized pumps, bearings, etc. related to various industrial equipment and systems. Repair and maintenance of service equipment related to the maintenance of BRI. Hot and cold water coils, airflow dampers, etc.
- Centralized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) – Administratively interfaces with (approach and software) to generate work tasks, work orders, and facility operational data. Accurate inputs are critical.
- Collect data and information to prepare operational status reports and contribute to strategic planning for facility operations.
- Actively participate within operational and preventative maintenance programs to coincide with biocontainment requirements, occupational health and safety, environmental regulations, and operational procedures.
- Implement a replacement parts methodology and establish and maintain an inventory of parts and equipment.
- Documentation of parts and materials, time and materials as required for programmed and planned maintenance
- Complete logs related to Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan requirements of above ground fuel storage and also complete generator log information for meeting EPA requirements.
- Log boiler water chemistry test results.
This position is required to provide a response to the facility system emergencies as needed and may occur day or night 7 days a week.
Associates Degree in HVAC or other technical fields and three to five years of experience.
- Experience in building industrial mechanical trades; electrical, electronics, plumbing, power plant operations, boiler operations, HVAC, electronic/pneumatic control troubleshooting and repair and general maintenance experience
- Previous experience working in high-performance facilities (bio-containment, nuclear, hospital, research, etc.)
- Experience using computer-based maintenance management systems
- Industrial Boiler or Chiller or HVAC operations experience/certificates
- Electrical or electronics experience
- Specialized coatings experience
- Relevant training certificates in facility trades
- Experience reading technical specifications and requirements for performing preventive maintenance activities
- Ability to pursue block mechanical license
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
- Ability to participate in rotating after-hours on-call if/when necessary.
- Consent to and pass an initial basic criminal background check – refreshed every 3 years (condition of employment).
- Submit an application for Security Risk Assessment approval through the Department of Justice for Select Agent Program (condition of employment).
- This position is required to provide a response to the facility system emergencies as needed and may occur day or night 7 days a week.
- Ability to participate in rotating after-hours on-call if/when necessary. The work duties occur in all areas of the facility (mechanical areas, bio-containment laboratories, animal rooms, electrical rooms, outdoor environments, offices, and conference spaces. Hazards include but not limited to: chemicals, biological (infectious) material, hot and cold weather temperatures, electrical shock, working at heights with fall hazards, physical injury from tools and equipment, noise, eye hazards, etc.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until filled.
To apply for this job please visit careers.k-state.edu.