Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Threat Assessment Business is currently seeking a full-time Forensic Genomics Research Scientist. This full-time position is located in Columbus, OH. Some domestic and international travel may be required.
Performs advanced biological experiments, research and analysis.
Solves complex problems; taking a new perspective using existing solutions. Less hands-on work, more providing guidance.
Study director. Conducts quality control review, data reporting, work flow assessments and writes/reviews technical correspondence and technical documents and provides technical leadership and support to cutting edge human forensic genomics programs.
- Designing, planning, and leading experiments rooted in forensic genomics using next generation sequencing (NGS), population genetics, and genome wide associations
- Presenting and reporting technical progress and results
- Preparing proposals for extramural funding
- Preparing scientific journal publications and presenting at professional meetings
- Assisting in the development of marketing plans and identifying business opportunities
Additionally, the selected candidate will be expected to guide and train other forensic genomics laboratory staff, as well as to perform certain administrative functions, as necessary, to ensure smooth functioning of experiments and timely distribution of program deliverables.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
- Master’s degree in forensics, human genetics or molecular biology with 2-5 years experience.
- Demonstrated expertise interpreting genetic data in a forensics context (e.g., identification of short tandem repeats (STRs) and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) to determine ancestry and kinship)
- Demonstrated expertise in NGS library construction and sequencing platforms, including Illumina MiSeq (experience applying NGS to human forensic genomics preferred)
- Basic understanding of bioinformatics tools and database management
- Experience working within laboratory quality management systems (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO17025)
- A proven ability to plan and conduct research studies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work in a team environment
- Sole U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory to perform assigned duties.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD in forensics, human genetics or molecular biology
- 0-2 years experience
To apply for this job please visit jobs.battelle.org.