Website Nuclear Threat Initiative
The Nuclear Threat Initiative is seeking a program assistant to join the Global Biological Policy and Programs (NTI | bio) team.
NTI works to protect our lives, environment, and quality of life now and for future generations. We work to prevent catastrophic attacks with weapons of mass destruction and disruption (WMDD)—nuclear, biological, radiological, chemical, and cyber.
The NTI | bio team’s mission is to reduce biological risk and enhance global biosecurity. We are working toward this goal by: promoting concrete actions to reduce risks posed by advances in biotechnology; identifying gaps in the capacity of individual countries to mitigate high-consequence biological events and motivating governments and other stakeholders to fill them; developing novel approaches for curbing potential catastrophic outcomes from a high-consequence biological event; and working to strengthen national biosecurity capacity in countries around the world.
The Program Assistant will be responsible for providing research and administrative support to the NTI | bio team and NTI senior staff.
- Conduct research on biosecurity-relevant technical and policy issues by reviewing primary and secondary literature in the life sciences, applied sciences, public policy and related fields.
- Provide research support to NTI | bio program staff, with a particular focus on projects aimed at reducing global catastrophic biological risks.
- Draft and edit internal memos, briefing documents, and meeting notes.
- Support development of print reports and online publications.
Travel with NTI program and senior leaders to provide support for NTI | bio during meetings, conferences, and other events as requested.
- Provide logistical support for NTI | bio meetings and events, including arranging participant travel, booking conference venues, ensuring appropriate supplies, and preparing printed materials.
- Provide logistical support to NTI | bio senior staff, including preparing monthly expense reports for the NTI finance team.
Assist with scheduling and teleconferences for NTI | bio leadership and staff.
- Manage travel for NTI | bio Senior Fellow and leadership.
Perform other duties and support projects as assigned by NTI | bio staff.
Required Skills And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics, biosecurity, international relations, public policy, or a related field).
- Experience analyzing primary and secondary literature to develop conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to comfortably provide administrative and substantive support and to switch between those roles.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
Comfort with and ability to prioritize and monitor multiple tasks.
- Commitment to strengthening global biosecurity and familiarity with key biosecurity concepts.
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Graduate or undergraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics, biosecurity, international relations, public policy, or a related field) and/or relevant experience in government, non-government organizations, or the private sector.
- Experience conducting qualitative research on technical topics by reviewing primary literature in the life sciences and related fields. Science and technology areas of particular interest include DNA synthesis, next-generation DNA sequencing, and synthetic biology.
- Ability to synthesize diverse sources of technical and policy-relevant information into clear and concise written documents.
Interest in the interface between technology development and biosecurity.
- Experience providing logistical, scheduling, and/or financial management support for projects and programs.