In this role you will:
• Develop skill sets to undertake work with animal models.
• Work to relevant safety and procedural documentation.
• Perform regulated procedures as a responsible Personal License holder in support of Dstl’s experimental programmes.
• Support with planning and running in vivo studies.
• Engage with a wide range of other staff and partners including; Scientists, Named Animal Care and Welfare Officers and regular dialogue with the Named Veterinary Surgeon, Project License Holders, Named Training and Competency Officer and Technical Leaders.
• Work to quality standards to include maintaining training and competency records.
• Undertake relevant CPD e.g. on the job training, off-site courses, reading papers, conference attendance.
• Be a flexible member of the team for example by taking part in rostered out of hours/on-call duties (additional payment applies).
We are looking for someone who has:
• “A” Level or equivalent in a biological science.
• Laboratory experience at microbiological containment level 2 (advantageous) and microbiology containment level 3 (desirable).
• Competence to deliver on agreed set of tasks, to time and to standard.
• In vivo research experience.
• Comprehensive understanding of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
• Experience as a Home Office Personal Licensee or be in a position to undertake modular training in multiple species in order to apply for one.
• Evidence of good interpersonal skills (i.e. oral, written form) and proficient with the tools required to present work (e.g. PowerPoint).
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.