Website Signature Science
A bioinformatics/genomics data scientist is responsible for providing experimental design consulting and data analysis for large, high-throughput genomic experiments, with a focus on forensics and metagenomics. The data scientist will be responsible for designing and implementing annotated code for managing, manipulating, and analyzing large-scale genomic data, and for preparing thorough documentation and reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop tools for management, analysis and interpretation of next generation sequencing data
- Organizing and managing large-scale genomic data sets
- Managing, manipulating, analyzing data with R, python, and UNIX tools
- Using established open-source software and tools to assess quality and analyze data
- Implement and execute data processing workflows and automated analytic pipelines
- Create standardized summary tables and figures
Manage large dataset collections including analytical results and data quality
- Develop annotated computer code and conduct code reviews and programming validation
- Conduct workflow benchmarking
- Identify inconsistencies and initiate resolution of data problems
- Prepare SOPs, document source code/workflows, and write reports to summarize computational requirements, processing status, and customized analysis results as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of working in a Unix/Linux environment
- Advanced proficiency with R/Bioconductor, RMarkdown, and the “tidyverse” tools for data analysis.
- Proficiency with Python, Perl, or another scripting language.
- Experience with open-source software, tools, and databases for analyzing next-generation sequencing data (RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, DNA variation, epigenetics, microbiome, and metagenomics).
- Familiarity with developing and querying relational databases (MySQL or similar)
- Familiarity with AWS cloud computing is desired
- Experience with NextFlow, SnakeMake, or similar workflow/pipeline management systems is desired
- Experience using Version Control software (e.g., Git or similar) to manage programming code
- Experience using workflows and sprints throughout the development process
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
MS or PhD in Bioinformatics, Genomics, Data Science, or related field
Experience (5+ years with MS/3+ years with PhD) managing and analyzing large-scale datasets produced sequencing platforms and deliver solutions for managing, visualizing, analyzing, and interpreting genomic data
Using Linux/Unix text processing tools, R, and other open-source tooling to manipulate and format data, to assess data quality, and analyze data.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with a current security clearance will receive preference.
May serve as a task/project lead.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Ability to work in varying conditions to include: traditional office environments with sedentary extended periods required for code development and testing;
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
To apply for this job please visit signaturescience.plansource.com.