The U.S. Army Contracting Command this week issued a new Request for Information (RFI) for tactical lightweight biological environmental sampling technologies in support of the Joint Biological Tactical Detection System (JBTDS) program.
JBTDS will be employed as a modular set of capabilities (detector, collector, and identifier) that function independently or as a set of components that provide biological aerosol detection, collection, identification and reporting.
JBTDS will also provide a separate environmental collection capability able to support environmental surface sampling tasks for tactical and sensitive site exploitation.
This market survey seeks to understand current, off-the-shelf, and future technologies which may provide the JBTDS with a separate environmental collection capability able to support environmental surface sampling tasks for tactical and sensitive site exploitation.
Specifically sought are technologies that minimizes human interface. Other goals for the systems include:
- Collected samples must be compatible with follow-on confirmatory identification using PCR, immunoassay, gene sequencing, culturing, etc.
- The time from point of collection to identification should be less than 20 minutes.
- The device should be operable by one person in Mission Oriented Protective Posture (MOPP) IV gear with minimal training.
- The device should support tactical carry with a weight of no more than 2 lbs.
- The identifier sensitivity should be equal to immunoassay identification levels.
- The environmental sampler must collect liquid and dry samples.
- The identifier must have the capability to identify up to 10 Biological Warfare Agents (BWAs).
- The device must support all types of surface sampling to include but not limited to: tile, concrete, wood, glass, stone, plastic, etc.
- The device may support samples collected from vegetation and or soil.
The effort is being managed by the Joint Product Manager for Biological Detection Systems (JPdM-BDS), part of the Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical and Biological Defense (JPEO-CBD).
Further details are available via Solicitation Number: Solicitation Number: W911SR-15-ESSRFI. The response deadline is April 10, 2015.