Applied Research Associates, Inc. is seeking mid-level Mathematical Modeler/Data Scientist for our office in Arlington, VA, to support a multidisciplinary team in the development, programming, and validation testing of mathematical and predictive models. The ideal candidate has a degree in mathematics or statistics, a solid science background, and demonstrated skill in programming mathematical/statistical models of complex biological systems as well as experience with machine learning techniques. The types of problems include predicting health effects following exposure to hazardous materials (e.g., chemical, biological), and the conducting analyses of biological data sets to derive new insights. Ultimately, we use these simulation models to predict the probability of adverse health outcomes, inform the development of mitigation strategies, provide input for medical planning purposes, and support research on the efficacy of treatment modalities. In addition, the candidate should have experience using scripting languages in mathematical software (e.g., Python, R, MATLAB) and/or open source options for prototyping models.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information; requirements include being a U.S. citizen.
- Review professional journals and publications to research models and techniques in mathematical simulation
- Work with multidisciplinary project teams to develop mathematical tools suitable for predicting outcomes to health
- Write source code that executes mathematical models and, as appropriate, develop scientific software for our customers
- Develop and implement methods in sensitivity analysis and uncertainty characterization for the models that we develop
- Working closely with senior staff, you will
- Learn from other subject matter experts (e.g., human physiology)
- Consider different technical approaches to a problem
- Participate in the verification and validation of models, from developing test plans to documenting results
- Knowledge of mathematical modeling approaches, specifically those involving differential equations, to describe biological systems
- Working knowledge of data science, particularly in the areas of machine learning and deep learning
- Use cutting-edge techniques to analyze complex biological data sets to develop insights
- Experience with basic data management in standard programming languages
- Ability to collaborate effectively in multidisciplinary teams
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products, e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and LaTeX
- Self-motivated, creative, willing to work as a member of a team, yet organized an ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline, e.g., applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, and at least two years’ experience
- Background in the sciences including chemistry, biology, and physics
- Experience in working collaboratively with other disciplines to achieve project-level goals
- Minimum of two years of experience in the development and application of mathematical solutions to health-related problems.
View opportunity at ARA