Laulima Government Solutions, LLC is looking for a qualified Animal Caretaker II to support our contract with NIAID.
• Provides training to new hires in the duties and responsibilities of animal care and facility operations.
• Provides quality assurance to include animal health surveillance, monitoring of effectiveness of facility sanitation, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), as well as internal facility reports for monitoring deviations from pre-established facility parameters.
• Maintains the Edstrom System and provide daily and weekly QA/QC on the system and in the animal rooms.
• Reviews, comprehends and complies with all SOP’s and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific area.
• Monitors daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations and animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: performing daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; providing appropriate food and water; performing cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; recording animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
• Maintains accurate records of animal breeding, health, and housing/isolator or support areas as required by Institute and facility.
• Assists with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site Supervisor or facility veterinarian.
• Disposes of animal carcasses following established procedures.
• Strictly follows all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas or semi-rigid isolator environments, including room or facility personnel entry; personnel protective equipment use, spraying in all equipment and materials into controlled areas.
• Receives, inspects and puts away incoming animals; ensures and provides for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area.
• May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
• Operates equipment and uses supplies according to safety guidelines; performs general housekeeping and adheres to safety procedures.
• Maintains required attendance level and adherence to work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Two years related animal care and handling experience required. • An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions and exhibit interpersonal skills that are conducive to effective communication and that contribute to a congenial work environment. Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner with clients, customers, coworkers, and supervisors.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
• Computer literacy in word processing and database record keeping.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
• Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (ALAT) or above preferred; ALAT eligibility required (at least HS diploma/GED coupled with one year of lab-animal work experience).
View opportunity at Laulima