- This event has passed.
BSL-3 Operations and Management Course
November 15, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 3:00 pm CST
A professional development course reviewing the important aspects of Biosafety Level 3 (BSL-3) facility and laboratory operations will be offered on 15 November 2019 as part of the ABSA’s 62nd Annual Biosafety and Biosecurity Conference.
The course will cover approval and training of BSL-3 workers; maintenance support; occupational health issues; managing waste; maintenance of the BSL-3 HVAC and physical facility; periodic checks on the facility’s systems; and emergencies of different types.
Daily operations in a BSL-3 will be discussed, including:
- Understanding when it is safe to enter and when you need to evacuate
- What to do when the ventilation fails
- Practical aspects of entry and exit procedures
- Practical tips on selection and use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Safety considerations within the experimental SOPs
- Waste handling; facility cleaning
- How to have equipment repaired or serviced
Please visit the ABSA website for more information on this course offering.