- This event has passed.
8th FIDSSA Congress – Federation of Infectious Diseases Societies of Southern Africa
November 7, 2019 - November 9, 2019
The 8th Federation of Infectious Diseases Societies of Southern Africa FIDSSA Congress 2019 will be held at the Indaba Hotel and Conference Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa from 7-9 November 2019.
This biennial FIDSSA Congress attracts local and international experts to lead conversations on a wide spectrum of cutting-edge infectious diseases topics relevant to the region and the African continent. Since its formation, FIDSSA has contributed substantially to an integrated approach of tackling the major problems of infectious diseases in southern Africa.
Highlighted session topics include:
- Deaths in newborn babies with healthcare-associated infections
- New technology to detect neonatal unit outbreaks
- New drug-resistant TB regimens for children and adults and new trials
- New childhood vaccines
- HIV treatment interruptions for diagnostic purposes
- Rapid diagnostics to transform the management of curable STIs in South Africa
- Management of syphilis in an era of penicillin shortages
- Integration of antimicrobial stewardship into sepsis pathways
- Whole genome sequencing and novel diagnostics to aid antimicrobial stewardship
- Stewardship: Leveraging the “butterfly effect” of hand hygiene
- New rabies vaccine guideline
- New yellow fever guideline
- Roll out of PrEP in SA
- Flucytosine for cryptococcal meningitis
- Acinetobacter – the new MRSA?
- Phage therapy for biofilms in device-related infections
- Role of the environment in transmission of healthcare-associated infections
- Non-culture-based diagnostic testing for antimicrobial resistance, mycology
Pre-congress workshops will be held on Thursday, 7 November 2019 by the Infection Control Society of Southern Africa, South African Society for Clinical Microbiology, and South African Antimicrobial Stewardship Programme.
Abstract submissions deadline: 24 June 2019
Online registration deadline: 13 October 2019
Please visit the FIDSSA Congress 2019 website for more information.