Website Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309092
Directorate: National Security
Division: Signatures Science & Technology
Group: Chemcial & Biological Signature Sciences
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a multi-program laboratory operated by Battelle for the US DOE. The Chemical and Biological Signature Science Group (CBSS) is an interdisciplinary group of approximately 50 biologists, chemists, and engineers that solve research and development problems related to chemical and biological detection and forensics.
Much of the work involves trace detection in complex samples including environmental, food, or biological samples, and is directed toward national security missions to prevent and counter acts of terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
Key challenges include: identifying the appropriate signatures, sample collection/preservation and preparation, development of detection and analysis technologies, and development of approaches and analytical methods for high confidence measurements.
CBSS is seeking a biological or biochemical scientist to contribute to research focused broadly on the identification and characterization of bacteria, viruses and/or biological toxins that are problematic for human health and/or of concern to national security sponsors. The successful candidate will be a member of an inter-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and program managers, and will conduct experiments on cells, tissues or model organisms to help identify causes and solutions to threatening diseases.
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of experience, Master’s with 3 years of experience OR Ph.D. with 1 years of experience
- Demonstrated ability to apply basic microbiology, molecular biology and/or biochemistry techniques to complex assignments in a biosafety level 2 research and development setting
- Experience recommending technical approaches and making technical contributions that may ultimately affect the direction of the research
- Experience working in technical teams to complete complex project tasks on time and on budget
- Experience thoroughly documenting experiments, including methods and results
- Experience contributing to proposals and peer-reviewed publications or technical reports
- Ph.D. in Biology, Chemistry or related field
- Experience with bacterial and mammalian cell culture
- Experience extracting cellular components from complex matrices (e.g., soil, water, surface swipes, clinical samples)
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience contributing to peer-reviewed publications or technical reports
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
This position will require experimental work involving exposure to risk group 1 and 2 biological agents, biological toxins, typical laboratory chemicals, and equipment that are appropriately assessed and managed to prevent exposing staff to hazards
To apply for this job please visit careers.pnnl.gov.