Website National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
NIAID seeks exceptional applicants with diverse skill sets in vaccine development to serve as a program officer in the Office of Biodefense, Research Resources and Translational Research (OBRRTR) in the Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (DMID).
You will serve as a Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR), managing both preclinical services and product development contracts in vaccines, including product development planning, animal screening and good laboratory practices (GLP) testing, good manufacturing practices (GMP) manufacturing, human and animal immunogenicity, and toxicology; and identify opportunities and problem areas, research gaps, and relevant program needs as well as make recommendations for and facilitate new research efforts, clinical studies, or other initiatives to fulfill the mission of the branch and the division.
Candidates with experience in vaccine development, including preclinical evaluation of vaccine platforms and technologies, investigational new drugs (IND)-enabling studies, GLP nonclinical testing, manufacturing process development, clinical GMP (cGMP) manufacturing, product release assay development and qualification, and Phase I clinical evaluation, as well as experience in the pharmaceutical industry, are preferred.
Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer)
As a Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer), you will perform the following tasks:
- Perform scientific and administrative reviews and analyses of applications/proposals from a programmatic viewpoint.
- Consult with and advise grantees/contractors during preparation of applications/proposals and provide guidance on program issues.
- Develop, coordinate and administer grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts established to fulfill the mission of the Branch and Division.
- Visit universities, research institutions, commercial organizations, other government agencies, and public and private organizations to promote and explain the objectives of the program.
Health Scientist Administrator (Scientific Review Officer)
As a Health Scientist Administrator (Scientific Review Officer), you will perform the following tasks:
- Provide policy direction and coordination for the planning and execution of initial scientific and technical review conducted within the Institute or Center.
- Utilize scientific knowledge and expertise to perform a variety of management functions associated with the scientific peer review of IC research, research training support activities and other contract activities.
- Manage the initial scientific and administrative review of grant, program project grant, and training grant applications as well as research project applications submitted in response to requests for applications.
- Appoint and manage review panels, including the identification of qualified reviewers to evaluate all applications and proposals and make any recommendations from IC and NIH program officials, to assemble a balanced group of experts and consultants.
- Act as the sole Federal official and agency representative by guiding the activities of a review committee and ensuring continuity in their approach toward evaluating applications, proposals, and adherence to peer review policies and procedures.
Visit USAJobs.gov and access the health scientist administrator/program officer vacancy announcements NIH-GR-DE-20-10807442 (U.S. citizens) and/or NIH-GR-MP-20-10812389 (status candidates) from May 18 through May 27, 2020.