Battelle is currently seeking a for Vice President, Public Health Research position; located in Baltimore, MD (preferred) or Atlanta, GA.
Responsible for the general management of Battelle’s Public Health business line and accountable for financial, operational, and growth performance of the line; provides vision, mission, strategy development and deployment for the line within the context and direction of the Health Business Unit; develops and maintains formal business plan development; engages in business development and sales and sustains client base with active networking. Maintain and develop a workforce of leading-tier dedicated public health professionals.
- Coordinates closely with Business Unit and Corporate leadership on strategy, operations, and direction for growth, and communicates those ideas to the line and provides hands-on involvement and leadership for the group.
- Develops and implements strategic and operational business plans which define the market focus and operational services performed by the business line.
- Responsible for the financial performance and achievement of business growth goals for the Public Health line, with a focus on maximizing profitable growth, measuring effective cost control, and scheduling and aligning investments with growth initiatives. Responsible for overseeing all intellectual property related to the business execution and managing assets for increased market position and returns. Manages resource expenditures including percent time on project for staff, capital equipment, marketing, and internal research and development budgets.
- Manages core human resource activities for the business line with support from HR Business Partners. Activities include but are not limited to recruitment and hiring of staff, establishing performance goals, appraising performance, and providing opportunities for career development. Manages relationships of staff with other intramural groups. Provides necessary training and mentoring opportunities for staff. Coaches and develops team members to assure the business line continues to retain a highly qualified talent pool.
- Maintains consistent and frequent communication and leadership engagement to ensure alignment of the business line with corporate strategy, directives, and leadership team guidance.
- Ensures staff conduct research, development, technical and operational activities within Battelle’s established business ethics, safety and quality policies and procedures. Reviews and approves, as necessary, proposals, reports and public releases, including publications.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key clients and federal agencies and their staff. Key clients currently include the CDC, FDA, DOD, NIH and VA/VHA.
- Manages facility and equipment needs including space requirements, new facility and modification decisions, and procurement for offsite locations.
- Exhibits clear understanding of customer requirements in order to ensure exceptional customer satisfaction.
- Implements, executes and communicates the policies and strategic emphasis of top management to the business line team.
- Actively manages major programs and projects to ensure achievement of operational and financial objectives.
- Works across Battelle to ensure continuity and coordination in the areas of business development and sales, client management, program management, and opportunity expansion. Plans effective teaming arrangements, establishes shared accountabilities and shared returns, and monitors results.
- In conjunction with business development and sales staff, plans, initiates and performs marketing activities to identify potential clients, new business segments, and market needs to maximize business opportunities. Contributes to proposals and bid/no bid decisions. Establishes pricing policy and specific pricing practices. Evaluates and recommends new program opportunities for portfolio growth specific to the three Public Health divisions: Military Health, Individual & Population Health, and Integrated Science Solutions. Program opportunities include those both in government and commercial markets.
- Directs efforts to produce efficient sales results and assures that sales investments are consistent with Battelle’s strategic thrusts.
- Engages in activities to actively develop and capture new business from government and commercial entities.
- Actively participates in the writing and review of strategic proposals and grants.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, engineering, statistics, psychology/sociology, or related relevant field with at least 15+ years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven track record of year over year growth with high staff retention.
- Expertise and an existing network in public health and related research fields.
- Strong operational background combined with strategic and continuous improvement mindset.
- Must have exceptional communication skills to effectively interact with top Battelle leadership and with client organizations, subcontractors, consultants and staff.
- Requires proven leadership to drive change, continuous improvement, and financial & operational results.
- Requires demonstrated ability to lead others in the achievement of goals.