Parasitology Study Support
The U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit No. 6 (NAMRU-6) parasitology department in Peru conducts epidemiological and molecular research on malaria and leishmaniasis. These studies are conducted under austere field conditions in the deep riverine portions of the Peruvian amazon and at our base in Lima Peru. Conducting our research in these areas requires flexible support that can expand and retract on short notice.
NAMRU-6 is soliciting for services to support implementation of several Parasitology Department studies in Peru by:
Assisting with the technical and laboratory assessments at research sites in Puerto Maldonado, Iquitos and Lima to include the development of the standard operating procedures, laboratory work, research and investigation work, and training work. The technical assessment includes personnel services to complete the tasks required.
Assisting in the logistical support at Puerto Maldonado, Lima and Iquitos sites to include shipping of samples, equipment, documentations and other items; purchase and shipment of laboratory equipment, purchase and shipment of office supplies for events, conferences, trainings and office support, and purchase and shipment of laboratory supplies.
Perform technical assessment visits at local within Peru and overseas sites, to include travel tickets, lodging arrangements and costs, per diem costs and other related travel requirements.
Assist in the preparation of scientific publications which are generated from any of these studies.
Further details are available under Solicitation Number: PAR140066.
Malaria Vaccine Pre-Clinical Studies
NAMRU-6 requires the service of an international institution to provide support for the execution of pre-clinical studies to evaluate the efficacy of malaria vaccines in non-human primates. The institution must have a long-term collaborative agreement with NAMRU-6 and demonstrated track record in managing research programs and human resources.
Under the terms of this contract the contracted institution will agree to:
- Provide administrative and logistic support for the procurement of non-human primates to conduct malaria vaccine studies at NAMRU-6.
- Provide logistic and administrative support for the procurement, shipment and customs liberation of research consumables and reagents for the execution of malaria vaccine studies.
- Provide administrative support for the travel.
- Provide technical and administrative support in other activities aimed at evaluating new malaria vaccines in the non-human primate model.
The period of performance for the contract is one year. Further details are available under Solicitation Number: PAR140067.
Identifying and Characterizing New Malaria Vaccine Candidates
NAMRU-6 requires the service of an international institution to provide support for the execution of a research study aimed at identifying and characterizing new Plasmodium vivax proteins as potential vaccine candidates against malaria.
The study will be conducted in collaboration with the Malaria Department at the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) in Silver Spring, Md. The institution must have a long-term collaborative agreement with NAMRU-6 and NMRC, and demonstrated track record in managing research programs within the U.S. Military.
The contracted institution will agree to:
- Provide administrative and technical support for the implementation of the wheat germ protein expression system in the NAMRU-6 laboratories in Lima, Peru.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the procurement, shipment and customs liberation of research consumables and reagents to be used for laboratory experiments within the scope of the aforementioned research project.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the procurement, shipment and customs liberation of small pieces of equipment to be used within the scope of the aforementioned research project.
- Hire a postdoctoral fellow with a Ph.D. degree in Microbiology, Immunology or other related field. The incumbent needs to have proven technical experience with gene cloning, protein expression and basic immunological techniques such as ELISPOT and flow cytometry assays. The incumbent will work in our facilities in Lima, Peru.
- Provide administrative support for travel.
- Support other activities related to the execution of the study outlined above.
The project is anticipated to be executed in the next two years. This contract will be reviewed and considered for renewal annually. Annual renewal of the contract will be based on performance and the availability of funds.
Further details are available under Solicitation Number: PAR140068.