The U.S. Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate (DHS S&T) has announced intentions to issue a formal Request for Proposals (RFP) for operation of the Homeland Security Operational Analysis Center (HSOAC).
The HSOAC will refocus the existing Homeland Security Studies and Analysis Institute (HSSAI) with renewed core competencies in operational analyses. The contemplated RFP will not change the basic purpose or mission of the HSOAC as DHS’s sole studies and analysis federally-funded research and development center, providing support to all DHS components.
The operational requirements of the HSOAC will include the performance of studies and analysis R&D work focused on operational analyses and the development of non-materiel solutions to address various issues and challenges.
Non-materiel solutions include changes in doctrine, organization, training, materiel, leadership and education, personnel, facilities, or policy to satisfy identified functional capabilities. This work may include:
- Development of material solutions limited to characterizing operational capability gaps
- Defining operational requirements
- Developing concepts of operations (CONOPS)
- Conducting market research
- Analysis of alternatives (AoA) activities
- Defining key performance parameters (KPPs)
- Assessing measures of effectiveness (MOEs)
- Synthesis of operational requirements documentation
- Conducting operations analysis and organizational studies
- Acquisition planning and development
- Security threat, vulnerability and risk assessment
These activities will support leadership decision making to increase operational effectiveness and improve interoperability and information sharing across the homeland security enterprise.
Capabilities in the areas of technology development, prototype system design, fabrication, software development, strictly materiel solutions, or test and evaluation are not of interest under the effort.
DHS is currently contemplating a release date for a formal RFP during the third quarter of fiscal year 2015. Further details are available under Solicitation Number: HSHQDC-15-I-FFRDC.