- This event has passed.
Charting a Responsible Future in AI & Biosecurity: Enabling Safe Innovation and Governance
November 15 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EST
The National Academies’ Health and Medicine Division’s Forum on Microbial Threats and the Division of Earth and Life Studies’ Board on Life Sciences will host a webinar on November 15 on Charting a Responsible Future in AI & Biosecurity.
This is the second of two sessions bringing together technology developers, researchers, and policymakers working at the intersection of foundation model-based artificial intelligence (AI) and biological research to explore the impact of these technologies on innovation, potential biosecurity risks, and promising solutions.
Highlighted agenda items and strategic questions include:
- What are the risk concerns and challenges from the legal perspective?
- Layered approach to considering policy options, connecting to benchmarks (e.g., functional characterizations of biological applications and tools for their capabilities), and building in evaluations to define the characteristics of the tools
- Leveraging foundation models for pandemic preparedness, rapid development of countermeasures against emerging threats
- What still needs to be defined to enable further discussions on regulation?
- What are approaches that can be taken to think about regulation and safety?
The first session on November 6 examined the technological capabilities and bridging the need for risk management between developers and policymakers.
Please visit the National Academies’ AI & Biosecurity Webinar Registration (Forum Microbial Threats) website to register.