- This event has passed.
NASEM Webinar: The Supply Chain and COVID-19
April 8, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm EDT
COVID-19 has had a profound impact on supply chains for many different critical products worldwide. The pandemic has created major changes in freight flows and has challenged the ability to deliver both medical supplies and food.
The National Academies’ Transportation Research Board (TRB) is hosting a webinar on Wednesday, April 8, 2020, from 2:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern that will explore the impacts of COVID-19 on the supply chain and logistics industries. Presenters will discuss lessons learned from past freight transportation and supply chain disruptions, identify research that has been done to address resilience in the supply chain, describe how to mitigate the economic impacts of these disruptions, and provide commentary on current supply chain disruptions due to COVID-19. The webinar is free to attend, but registration is required. You can follow the conversation on Twitter by using #COVID19 and #TRBwebinar.
• Moderated by: Mike Meyer, WSP, Principal Investigator for NCFRP Research Report 39: Freight Transportation Resilience in Response to Supply Chain Disruptions
• Paul Bingham, IHS Markit, expert in supply chain logistics, freight transportation, and transportation economics
• Anne Strauss-Wieder, North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority, expert in supply chain and freight movement, transportation policy, and maritime transportation
1. How the supply chain industry has responded to past disruptions
2. Lessons learned from past disruptions and best practices for a resilient supply chain
3. How supply chain and logistics managers can respond to disruptions from COVID-19
4. Question and answer session
The first 60 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 30 minutes will be reserved for audience questions.
Resources about supply chain and logistics from TRB:
- NCFRP Research Report 39: Freight Transportation Resilience in Response to Supply Chain Disruptions
- E-Circular E-C259: International Transportation and Economic Development Conference 2018
- TR News article: Supply Chain Business Continuity
- TR News article: Aviation’s Evolving Role in a Changing Climate
- TRB Director Neil Pedersen’s message regarding COVID-19