- This event has passed.
The Biological Event Horizon: No Return or Total Resilience
September 24 @ 9:00 am - 12:45 pm EDT
A virtual meeting of the Bipartisan Commission on Biodefense will be held on Sep. 24 entitled, “The Biological Event Horizon: No Return or Total Resilience“.
The ongoing novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic is revealing major gaps in national readiness to prepare for, respond to, and recover from biological threats. Decision makers must consider enhancements to policies and programs to better defend against the next biological threat as the Nation continues to respond to the crisis. COVID-19 will not be the last biological threat we face and it likely will not be the worst as the risk of natural and human-generated threats continues to increase with time.
At this meeting, the Commission intends to address these emerging biological threats and innovative science and technology solutions to address them.
- Jaime Yassif, PhD: Senior Fellow, Global Biological Policy and Programs, Nuclear Threat Initiative
- Sohini Ramachandran, PhD: Associate Professor of Biology, Director of Graduate Studies for the Center for Computational Molecular Biology, Associate Professor of Computer Science, Brown University
- Nita Madhav, MSPH, Chief Executive Officer, President, and Board Member, Metabiota
- Representative Susan Brooks (R-IN): Member, Subcommittee on Health, Committee on Energy and Commerce, U.S. House of Representatives
- Representative Diana DeGette (D-CO): Chair, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigation, Committee on Energy and Commerce, U.S. House of Representatives
- Kavita M. Berger, PhD: Director, Board on Life Sciences, National Academies of Sciences
- Luciana Borio, MD: Vice President, Technical Staff, In-Q-Tel; Former Director for Medical and Biodefense Preparedness, National Security Council; Former Assistant Commissioner for Counterterrorism Policy and Director, Office of Counterterrorism and Emerging Threats, Office of the Chief Scientist, FDA; and Former Senior Medical Advisor, Office of the ASPR, DHHS
Please visit the Bipartisan Commission on Biodefense website for more information.
Global Biodefense is not affiliated with the Bipartisan Commission on Biodefense and is providing this listing as a courtesy to the community.