Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)HHS/ASPR
The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), manages the procurement and advanced development of medical countermeasures for CBRN threats, pandemic influenza and other emerging infectious diseases.
In addition, BARDA manages the Public Health Emergency Medical Countermeasures Enterprise (PHEMCE) and oversees all of HHS’s Project BioShield procurements. BARDA was established via the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act of 2006.
Key threats funded for countermeasures include anthrax, botulism, radiation, viral hemorrhagic fevers and smallpox. Most recent BARDA funding opportunities are available here.
CBRN agent countermeasures lack a significant commercial market as incidents occur infrequently. The funding phases and guaranteed federal market structure for finalized products overseen by BARDA is a critical national security effort to bring about countermeasure development.
A major component of the BARDA effort is to establish flexible multi-use manufacturing and core service partnerships that will assist companies in many aspects of developing and licensing a product, while providing medical countermeasure manufacturing and surge capacity.
Editor’s Picks: Select articles related to BARDA. Links may lead to external sites.
- HHS Invests in Argentum’s Burn Dressings for Radiation Emergencies (Oct 2018)
- BARDA Backs Biodosimetry Tests from MRIGlobal, DxTerity Diagnostics (Oct 2016)
- Radiation Exposure Countermeasures Backed by U.S. Government (Oct 2016)
- ARad Biodosimetry: ASU Developing Radiation-Absorption Test (Oct 2016)
- BARDA Backs Antibody Therapy Against MERS Virus (Aug 2016)
- BARDA Backs Cerus’ Blood Pathogen Reduction System (Aug 2016)
- Texas A&M CIADM Helping with Anthrax Vaccine Development (May 2016)
- BARDA Seeks Next-Generation Anthrax Vaccine (May 2016)
- BARDA Selects UM SOM for Radiation Nuclear Animal Model Development (Jan 2016)
- First Light Biosciences Awarded Anthrax Diagnostic Contract (Sep 2015)
- Autograft-Sparing Products for Definitive Care of Burn Injuries (Jun 2015)
- SRI International Developing Biodosimeter for Radiation Exposure (Jun 2015)
- BARDA to Rapidly Accelerate ZMapp Ebola Drug (Sep 2014)
- BARDA Awards 14M for Acute Radiation Countermeasure (Aug 2014)
- BARDA Moves Forward on Freeze-Dried Smallpox Vaccine (Apr 2014)
- Soligenix Awarded $26M BARDA Contract for Radiation Countermeasure (Sep 2013)
- BARDA Exercises Contract Option on Emergent BioSolutions Anthrax Vaccine (Oct 2012)
200 Independence Avenue SW Rm 638G Washington DC 20201 United States